Running MeeGo 1.1 unstable in your N900
Now it’s possible for power testers to install and run MeeGo 1.1 unstable in the Nokia N900. MeeGo Handset is not yet in shape for users of any kind. If you find the instructions complicated and unfriendly it’s simply because MeeGo is being sincere with you: stay away from it and come back later. 🙂
Running MeeGo Handset UX in the N900 has been possible (technically) since few weeks ago, but now the N900 hardware adaptation team has started releasing full raw images containing some essential hardware related binaries. The result is a simpler installation process for patient power users and a more functional software as a reward.
The simplest way to run MeeGo in the N900 without loosing Maemo 5 and all your data is to boot from Micro-SD. Nice simple dual-boot is supposed to come at some point but it’s too hackish at this point. In the meantime you might want to do this:
- Download the latest raw image and kernel from the Nokia server.
- Install the raw image in a Micro-SD card of 2Gb or more (Linux and Windows instructions).
- Insert the card to your N900.
- Load the kernel to your N900.
E voilà! MeeGo should be booting in your device, starting with the Tux and a booting log like in the old good times. Give it some more time and a MeeGo homescreen should appear, with MeeGo characters at the front, the Qt powered MeeGo Touch Framework operating in the back, a task launcher, settings, device lock… and little else at this point:
- Pictures, People and SMS have some functionality in place. Testing and feedback is definitely welcome here.
- Browser and Phone seem to be there but I couldn’t boot them.
- The rest of apps are placeholders in this week’s version. This is the current list of apps (maybe there is a way to take a screenshot already, will try in future versions). Don’t pay too much attention to the list, I guess there will be changes before MeeGo 1.1 final:
- First screen: SMS, Clock, People, Chat, Camera, Pictures, Music, Videos, Maps, App-Up, Help, Calendar.
- Second screen: RSS Reader, Stocks, Trailers, Lock, Fortune.
This is MeeGo Handset 1.1 unstable today. Note that a month ago stevechippy showed in a video a slightly better experience with an Aava prototype, therefore some of the problems found in the N900 might be related to the specific adaptation to this hardware. There are still some weeks to go after the planned feature set before the feature freeze arrives.
Have a look, pick your preferred area to test, find bugs to report (Hardware = “Handset”, Architecture = “ARM”)… Have fun while the battery lasts (power management for the N900 is supposed to be implemented soon). As said, the MeeGo experience in the N900 is very rough at this point. Yet exciting for some people. See you in the download queue of the next unstable release!
Filed under: MeeGo | 23 Comments
Tags: MeeGo, MTF, N900, testing, unstable